Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Thursday, April 24, 2008

2008 Boston Marathon Finishers!!!



What can I say about the Boston Marathon? It really is as thrilling as it's made out to be. When you get 25,000+ runners together in a small town, it's certainly a sight to see.


The crowds were unparalleled and amazing! They will truly be the most memorable part of the trip for me. From the start line to the finish line, both sides of the street were lined with people shouting & cheering. A lot of spectators came ready as race support, handing out water, oranges, bananas, candy and even beer (which I decided I should pass on). During the last 3 miles, I thought I had blown the speakers to my ipod because the music was barely audible. Turned out the crowds were just that loud!


The weather was a perfect 60 degrees with a little breeze. My goal was to run a 3:20 or better. I was having a great race -- comfortable and right on target -- and then the calf cramps kicked in. About mile 19 I started to get little twitches in my calves and I slowed my pace hoping the feeling would go away, but when my right calf charlie-horsed in mile 22 causing my toes to curl under, I didn't have a choice but to walk it out. I started running again, only to have my left calf charlie-horse, too. I walked again, ran again, both calves cramping simultaneously with my toes curling. I had to stop completely three times to rub out the cramps. I hobbled across the finish line, running on the outside of my feet and trying not to flex my calves and went straight to the medical tent where two therapists worked on my legs. I was so happy to have them because by then my legs were hurting pretty badly. All in all, I fell short of my goal by 9 1/2 minutes with a finish time of 3:29:31, but I'm happy with it given the circumstances.


Even though my legs were cramping up, I was still able to enjoy my surroundings. I wish I could say the same for Tiffany, who just wanted the race to be over before it began, I think. She went and had a great time, but hopes to have a better race experience in St. George this fall with all of the Wilcock family.

4 comments:

  1. Whoohoo! good job! It looks like you and your sis had fun in Boston. Congrats.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I am so proud of you! You are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how to reply to you all. Thanks. It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete