Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Saturday, November 29, 2008

Cancer Diagnosis

All those close to our family are aware that we've had an eye-opening, shocking, and extremely humbling month. After several negative health symptoms arose, I finally got myself into a doctor, which led to tests of all of kinds, unraveling the truth about my condition: I have stage 4 colon cancer. Doctors guesstimate that I've probably been living with it for 1 or 2 years. Turns out the cancer had gone undetected for so long that it had time to not only affect my colon and intestines, but also took over my ovaries, omentum, and my liver.

I spent 11 days in the hospital recuperating from a traumatic surgery to remove as much tumor as the doctors could, but because the disease has spread throughout my liver, they weren't able to surgically remove any part of it. Because I had tumors in other parts of my body, I am no longer a candidate for a liver transplant, which means that chemotherapy and the power of the priesthood are the only options for a full recovery.

I have done one round of chemo so far and will probably do another 7 rounds (every two weeks) before doing another CT scan to determine how much of the cancer has been destroyed.

It's been physically taxing on my body to say the least, but I wanted to thank all of you who have been an overwhelming support to our family. I knew I could rest and focus on recovery in the hospital because our family was being taken care of by friends, family, neighbors, & ward members. I've been in and out of the hospital and doctors offices nonstop and am unaware of who exactly has contributed what, making it impossible for me to thank you all for your love and support. Please know that I am humbled and have shed more tears of gratitude than tears of sadness during this trying time as a result of your love.

Thanks for all the blessings, healing rocks, drinks, meals, babysitting, books, phone calls, flowers, emails, card games, foot and back massages, chapstick, lotions, socks, clothing, scrapbooks, photos, heart notes, visits, magazines, blanket, word puzzle books, gifts for the kids, and especially for the prayers and fasting done on our behalf. Time is a precious commodity and I am grateful to all of you who gave and continue to give of yourself for our family's benefit. My heart is full of love for each of you!!!

~Briana

19 comments:

  1. I love you, Bri. Hang in there. We're praying for you! Thank you for posting, I've been thinking about you a lot today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briana, I'm at a loss for words. I feel so sad for your condition and for what your family is going through. Thanks for letting us know. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bri you are such an amazing example of everything good.. I feel blessed to have you as a friend. I was so very happy to see your blogging again love you if you need anything call Tiffany just kidding me too, call me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl. I know I just talked to ya but I wanted to let you know that you have to get better so we can run:)))) There is no if or buts about it. So there Mr. Cancer, you have to go away.

    Hang in there. We sure are pulling for ya.
    ps love the fam pics
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your a fighter and bring me so much joy! I feel so blessed that your my friend! I love you and your family and anything you need its yours! Your photos are eyecandy, thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bri,
    It's great to see you on the computer again! I miss your emails and talking to you. The family Christmas photos is gorgeous! From looking at your photo you'd never know that you weren't in perfect health! I'm praying for you daily and wish I were closer so I could help out. I'm anxious to see you in December. I love you,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bri, You are such an amazing woman! You are an inspiration to all. Ifeel truly blessed to be a part of your life! I'm so glad you got your family pics done. They are gorgeous! You are such a figher We can beat this together with all the fasting and prayers.
    Love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Briana,

    I can only imagine how trying this is for you and all of your loved ones. You are such a strength to so many and I must say that all of your friends from Merced have had you in their thoughts and prays. We wish you well and hope for comfort for your whole family.

    You are so strong. Your words of gratitude and love that were expressed brought me to tears and made me feel so humble for the great blessings that I have in my life. Stay strong and know that you are loved dearly and thought of often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BRI!
    I love the look of your blog. I thought you'd need longer time recovering till we hit the blog. I'm happy you were able to get to it sooner than I expected. I'm thinking you again today. There's not a day goes by that I don't think of you and your family. What a wonderful idea to have a family photo, it turned out beautiful. There's a lot of prayers for you and your family. You a a wonderful example to all... "fight the good fight". with love, the Sargents

    ReplyDelete
  10. Briana,your example and fighting spirit is such an example to all of us.We continue to pray for you and your family.The christmas picture is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are in our prayers as well. All your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bri, thanks for the update, we are always thinking and praying for you. We LOVE YOU! Keep strong girly, you are amazing. Love the new family pictures, they are great.
    I was telling your parents of a friend with a little baby that had to have surgery and chemo, they are an awesome family like yours. http://famofcookies.blogspot.com/
    I have a new favorite song, it's called" Just stand up!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. After missing the reunion due to pregnancy sickness, i've been thinking about everyone I missed seeing. I decided to stop by your blog to see what you've been up to and was speechless. I am so sorry you have to go through this and I hope you know I will be praying that everything will turn out for you and your cute family.
    Stephanie Walker

    ReplyDelete
  14. briana, love you! kel told me that you had updated your blog since i hadnt heard back on the email i was wondering about your update. love you love you and dont make me cry anymore! you are so strong and faithful, i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. ill email you soon. love, jam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Briana, I just want you to know that I love you and that you and your family are in our prayers. If anyone can beat this because of their faith and strength it is you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blog looks wonderful. We love you. I can't believe how much you still continue to do. Call me if I can do anything for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brianna stay strong and Heavenly Father is watching over you and the doctors who are helping you overcome this trial. Leo and I are praying for you. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Though this trial is a tough one, we're getting through it in large part to the support and encouragement from all of you! Your thoughts and prayers mean the world to me!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just caught wind of hard news. Hope you are doing okay. Whispering a prayer for you and your family now. Feel very loved.

    ReplyDelete