Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Sunday, February 28, 2010

Gamma Knife Radiation Day

While the kids were tucked all snug in their beds, Eric and I snuck out to the Gamma Knife center at 6:30 am. We got right in for vital checks. At 8 am, Dr. Young arrived, excused Eric, and with the help of my nurse, Denise, attached the halo headpiece for the radiation treatment. Four big shots of numbing medication, then four big twists into the scalp (two on my forehead and two in the back of the head), and voila, the headpiece was on. It’s quite heavy.




Following the placement of the halo, the ambulance team came by to put me on a stretcher, then transported me by ambulance from one building to another. I did a MRI scan for the doctors to work on a treatment plan. I was amazed at how quick it all went. It seemed I had just been back from the MRI building before they walked me back to the Gamma Knife room. The process just seemed too easy. I went into a quiet machine for about 18 minutes, came out for repositioning and machine changes, then went back in for another 45 minutes or so. I had fallen asleep to a music cd of Josh Groban and Celine Dion when they pulled me out and let me know that they zapped four of the biggest tumors. Amazing!


I will go in next Thursday to get one more big tumor that’s resting on an optic nerve, and hopefully they’ll be able to get many more, as well. Assuming no more lesions pop up, there are 9 remaining.

Friday morning, we met with my oncologist to dicuss chemotherapy treatments. my brain specilist is concerned about the continuation of more tumors popping up. The plan we made with Dr. Menco is to finish radiation, then do a PET/CT scan to ensure there hasn’t been more cancer growth in other parts of the body, then start a chemotherapy treatment that has had some success with breaking through the blood/brain barrier that most chemo treatments can’t penetrate. I’m not looking forward to the chemo again at all, especially since it sounds so similar to what I was already doing before that didn’t work. My trust is in the doctor’s, though, and the healing that I know will occur.

My life is immensely blessed, even through all this adversity and sickness. The Lord is certainly surrounding me with an army of support and love. I just hope I am able to convey to Him the gratitude I have for all the angels in my life by handling this trial with grace and patience, and not letting the “fear factor” take over. While I am ready for this to be a thing of the past, it’s a trial wherein I have been able to recognize the value of it every single day and it’s been a growing experience for the entire family.

1 comment:

  1. God bless you, I will be praying for you. I had a lesion in my right temporal lobe when I was 18 that was causing me to have seizures. I had surgery and so far so good! I have some short term memory loss but it is nothing compare to the seizures. Remember this is God's plan and he loves you! He's 100% in control of the situation. Trust in him!

    Check this out from the Our Father "they kingdom come, THEY WILL BE DONE on earth as it is in heaven" <- All in gods plan!

    2 Chronicles 20:17
    You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with

    God Bless you and your family,

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete