Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Friday, April 24, 2009

Post Op Update

Well, I'm finally getting around to updating you all on my condition and surgery experience -- thanks to good 'ol pain meds. First off, Cedars Sinai Hospital was amazing. I loved the staff, who proved to be my biggest advocates, helping me in more ways than I'd even ask for. Here are a few of my nurses. I wish I had a snapshot of my Drs. Bilchick, Washington, & Green. I knew I was I was in good hands.

What was expected to be a 4 hour surgery resulted in 7 hours. My blood counts were dangerously low and they couldn't even begin until I had had 6 transfusions: 4 units of red blood cells, 2 units of a clotting agent, and 1 unit of platelets. (each unit equals about 1 liter). When all was said and done, Dr. Bilchick had removed my gallbladder and 40% of my liver -- 11 tumors ranging in size of 0.2-5.0 cm. Most of the tumors were already dead or in the process of dying. We don't know for sure if I'm cancer free at this point, but Doc says he removed all that he could see, trying to be very aggressive. In fact, he wondered if he was too aggressive, given my blood counts. The day I was released (Apr. 20th) he admitted that he was scared he had done too much. My counts weren't back to normal, but I was improving faster than they expected.

I spent 3 days in ICU and 4 days on the 8th floor.



And here I am, 5 days at home post-op. Eric can't believe I'm posting these photos. Not a pretty sight. I've been pretty miserable. It seems that hot baths are my only reprieve from the pain for a short while. I was grateful for several hours of feeling good last night to attend the derby races. You can see from the photos that I'm still pretty swollen, though the edema has gone down considerably. My main focus now is to control the draining that continues to seep from my incision. I'm soaking through towels within no time at all. On that note, I'm grateful that Doc was able to use my same incision from my 1st surgery.



Thanks to Kim, Tiff, Mom & Eric for your visits that brightened my days in there. Thanks to all the young women leaders who continue to step up and keep the program running in my absence. Thanks to all those who have blessed our family with meals, love & support. I love you!!!

14 comments:

  1. You are such a trooper! I wish I was there to cook you dinner and play with your kids for awhile. We'll continue praying for you! Thanks for being so awesome about the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briana! I was awaiting this post for soo long! I am so happy to hear that you are recovering and are out of the hospital. You are amazing and I can't get over how optomistic you've been throughout this whole ordeal. Thanks for keeping us updated and here's a huge hug for a full recovery and a beautiful life ahead of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Briana You are an amazing example! I'm so happy to hear you are doing as well as you are. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Briana,

    Great news. We knew the Lord would bless you and you would overcome this trial. Amanzing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Briana, you are my HERO! I stock your blog because you are such an inspiration to me! Your optimism astounds me! I will continue to pray for you always! Hang in there, I can't wait for you to write a book about how your positive attitude, and continuous smile beat this nasty disease. BTW I can't believe how hot you look in your hospital gown! That's a little not fair to look that great after 7 hours of surgery and lots of pain meds pumping in you. Love you!
    Ceri (Porter)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm speechless with everything you went through. You're an amazing woman. I'm so glad everything went well, hope and praying you'll recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bri you rock! I love ya girlfriend wish there was something I could do to ease the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Briana- We are so happy to hear your doing well. You are so amazing! Your positive attitude is such an example to me. We will continue to pray for you and your family and hope we can see you soon! Love, The Lords Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great even after a surgery like that! Our continued prayers for your strength and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad I looked at your blog today. I am preparing for my surgery on May 15th. They are planning on 1/3 of my colon and 60%of my liver in one operation. I hope I feel as good as you look in your pictures. It gives me hope. I would love to hear from you on what to expect...I'm a bit nervous. Keep up the good fight. I'm right there with you.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bri,
    I a have been praying and waiting to see you again. I hope you are getting plenty of rest and letting your body heal. When you are able to see visitors, I'd love to check in on you!! It was so nice to see you at the "Derby". I've missed you so much. Thanks for teaching me volumes through by being a shining example. You have been blessed with strong faith and lots of hope. with love, M

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bri, thanks for your update, I'm so glad that you have had a great team of nurses and doctors taking good care of you. Wish you were closer, I agree with all the comments, you are still looking hot! My family will continue to pray for you, your family and medical team. Much love, Ale

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Brianna
    I have been following your blog and we are still praying for a full recovery for you..
    What would we do without the Gospel..??

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, its almost not fair how beautiful you look in your hospital bed!

    ReplyDelete