Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Monday, August 30, 2010

Update

Without having mobility/dexterity of my left side, it takes forever to type one-handed so I’m less motivated to get online to correspond with people and update the blog. I’m taking physical, occupational, and soon speech therapy to overcome all this. Even though I’ve already seen a bit of improvement, a full recovery may be a long road from my perspective because I’m not a patient individual. Occupational and physical therapy are good for me; though, again, I struggle with patience. I want to see results yesterday.:)I think maybe the stroke was Heavenly Father’s way of saying, “Slow down. You have more to learn. Don't be in such a rush to do what you want to do.” I know I need to start each day asking God, "Okay, I'm here and handicapped. What would you like me to learn and do today?"

After running several tests, doctors don’t know what caused the lack of oxygen to my brain. One doctor said we all took for granted that I was doing so well and not acknowledging that I still have four brain tumors and cancer in the body, so I still shouldn’t jump back into a full exercise regime. He said we probably created a perfect storm with brain radiation, chemotherapy, and a week in the mountains for girls camp at high altitude rock climbing, hiking, & mountain biking. (The stroke took place at camp.)

In the meantime, I'm not allowed to run (even if I could). It seems the most actvity my body is getting is through gaining weight, not lifting weight! haha

3 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration. I'm so glad you are keeping up the blog. We love the updates. I don't know how you are moving with all this going on! I hope you have found some fabulous doctors in Roseville!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new blog look! Now, you must rest. And Blogging IS therapeutic, so do some more blogging ok? It is good for the heart, soul and mind. Tell us what you want to say, we are wanting to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to tell the world about my beautiful niece and her incredible parents. (I actually do brag about you often) Even though we haven't seen each other for years Bri, my heart has been with you and you've been in my prayers each and every day. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I've never once detected a lack of faith or positive attitude from any of you in all the letters or postings since all this began. I know for a fact that you will have a full recovery because my big sister and brother in law said so. They know because of their faith, and priesthood blessings.

    I am SOOO PROUD of you Briana. What a beautiful example you have been to me. And what a beautiful example my sister Teri has been and always will be to me. I've always tried to copy her for obvious reasons. No two women were ever more beautiful handmaids of the Lord then Teri and Briana. I'm sure of that.

    I was once told that we never know who we really are until a trial of our faith. You've certainly been tried of late, and if anyone deserves to complain and grumble, it's you Darlin. But you just keep encouraging, lifting, and filling me with love and faith. I see you in my heart, I know your heart,... and you are beautiful inside and out. I wish we could have lived closer to each other while you were growing up so I could think I had something to do with that. I hope that when my trials come, and more will come, that I will remember your strength, and your smile, and your positive attitude.

    Hug your mom for me. I'd like to hold both of you tight and not let go, so you could feel my love right now. I can't wait to hear that you are running again. Soon…. Very soon!

    Love, Aunt Myke

    ReplyDelete