Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Sunday, January 25, 2009

Leyna, Leyna Lou -- We Love You!

Well, I completed my 5th round of chemo this week. It was the first time I attempted it on my own, trying to live life normally without depending on mothers or sisters for help. Not to say I wasn't dependent on my fantastic husband. Eric was a huge help. I bought him a tshirt this week that says, "Trophy Husband." I meant it to convey what a prize he is for me, but I think he's too embarrassed to wear it outside the house -- something about feeling like a piece of meat. ;)

I have to confess that it was rather easy this time around because 90% of my workload was missing. Leyna was in AZ all week staying with Tiff & Joan. She came home today and boy -- it's amazing the noise level and chaos a 2 year old can produce! I'll take that chaos most any day, though -- we all missed her enormously. I mean, come on, look at these photos. How can you not miss a rugrat like this?




4 comments:

  1. Your little Leyna is precious! I'm glad she is came home, but I'm sure she had a blast with your sis family. Way to go Bri on finishing round 5, you are really AMAZING and we are so happy to hear about your score 10 and going down more !!!!
    I saw your parents today and didn't ask about you, I was really wondering how everything was going. The pictures of you, Serena and your mom are great, the birds can be scary sometimes. Love you LOTS, Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Bri! I love Leyna and miss her big too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Briana,
    I'm so sorry to hear your story but also so glad to have someone else my age going through this with amazing results. It gives me even more hope. I'm curious to see what this round has for me. This will be round 8 but we are having to change a few things up because of the neuropathy. I was diagnosed stage 4 on Oct. 20th. My CEA is now down to 4.7 before round 7 :) I never did have surgery. My primary tumor is off to the right side and not causing any obstruction or bleeding so they just wanted to get chemo started to stop the continued spreading. As of my last scans in Dec., my liver tumors (which were the biggest concern being 80-90% affected) are shrinking. After round 8 this Friday, I will have scans done the following week. I'm excited to see the progress. My CEA has been dropping after each treatment, even if it's .5 I'm happy. Being able to open a water bottle is a good day sometimes with my hands lol. Such a small accomplishment for some but so huge for me. I'm sure you can relate. I see you live in CA. I'm here in AZ on the other side of the valley from your sister. Natalie Montez has been one of my dearest friends since we played college volleyball together. She informed me of your story just yesterday. I hope to keep in touch. We will pray for you quick recovery as well. Thank you for emailing me. Have a wonderful week.

    Kim Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Briana
    I came across your blog from Kim Millers and wanted to say we are praying for you also.. My husband has just done his 7th round of chemo and according to his latest scan.. all seems great..He had stage 3c colon cancer..but after an operation and all this chemo we are positive all will be well. Please stay strong and let the Prayers carry you.. Please check our blog out
    thearringtonclan.blogspot.com
    Take care
    Maxine and Mathew

    ReplyDelete