Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hair Loss


Saturday I was noticing that I was losing a lot of hair. I told Eric as we were just about to head to bed. He combed his fingers through my hair and pulled out a big clump of hair. I did the same. Again and again. Already I was feeling overly sleepy and weepy, so the sight of my hair falling out didn't bring out the best in me. I cried about my ugliness, to which my loving husband just laughed and laughed. I know...I'm not at a point in life where vanity should have any bearing on my thoughts, but I can't deny that I hate feeling so unattractive. But come fat, come baldness, it's to go know my husband and kids love me no matter what. Kaden is always the first to tell me that he doesn't think my cheeks are big. And Gavin told me tonight how my hair isn't so bad; it's kind of cool. Kami was hoping for a chance to buy hair accessories. Leyna's oblivious. How'd I get so lucky to have such understanding, supportive kids? I love them soooo much!!!

Monday I met with the doctor who explained that had I just had radiation, I wouldn't have experienced hair loss. Same goes for chemo. But for those tumors that were close to the scalp, coupled with chemo this week, it was just too sensitive an area; hence, the hair loss. There will probably be one more small spot on the side of my head where he said I could expect to lose my hair, but other than that,the rest should stay put. I don't know what I think about that -- now that much of it's gone, it might as well all be gone so I can do the wig/hat thing. Now I just have ugly hair! It's kind of comical, I admit. Oh, the things we must go through.

7 comments:

  1. Briana, I am so sorry that you are losing your hair. I still think that you look beautiful too. I will pray that it will grow back fast. Take lots of prenatals and that will help speed things up. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking how GOOD you looked on Sunday! You are so beautiful inside and out !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prenatals...haven't heard that one yet from the oncology staff. Maybe I should recommend it. :)

    And thank you, Corinne. BTW, I LOVED your lesson Sunday! It's such a treat to get to listen to you once a month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you watch "so you think you can dance"?... do you know that choreographer Sonya Tayeh... you and she can have the same hair cut... it is totally cool and she is totally beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bri, everyone is vain. Don't feel bad about that at all. I'm sorry about the effects this crap has on you. It makes me sad, but you make me stronger every day being able to see and hear what you overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You looked beautiful when I saw you last week and you will always be. Honestly, when I lost my hair it was really hard. I remember feeling so sad and overwhelmed. I decided to shave it off because the doctors told me that I would have a 100% chance of loosing it anyways. I got a couple of cute wigs and hats. It wasn't always a bad thing because I didn't have to do my hair. It was always perfectly styled. They have some really cute ones now. I guess you will just have to see how much you loose. It might just end up being a couple of spots. You could easily cover that up with scarves,clips with hair attached, etc. Please call me if you need any advice or have any questions. Don't ever feel like you are vain. Everything you are experiencing is normal. If you were not sad about loosing your hair, something would be wrong with you. Lots of love. Thinking about you always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like it's underneath for themost part...when it's down probably hardly noticable. You have always been so beautiful anyway - I'm sure every one who sees you still feels the same way! BTW I love you announcement for Kambria's baptism. MY oldest turns 8 in April and I'm hoping to do something cool like that for him.

    ReplyDelete