Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Thursday, March 4, 2010

Round 2 Radiation

Here I am the morning of round 2 radiation. No denying the "moon face" weight gain issue I'm facing now!

Some photos that Eric captured today of me being transported by ambulance from one building to another after my halo was put on. After numbing and screwing the halo into place, doc decided it wsan't exactly in the best location, so we got to redo the process. I got to get drilled 8 times in the head today instead of 4. It was worth it, though, to learn that they were able to radiate four more tumors today. Eight down, five to go, assuming no new ones try to pop up.

One of the drills hit a vessel that didn’t want to stop bleeding, so nurse Aiko wrapped up my head and I laid there for a half hour or so until the bleeding subsided. Only one other bleeding episode took place when we went out to lunch and the hole on the left front of my head started seeping. Easily remedied, though. No worries. Now I just have dry, matted bloody hair in the back that they don’t want me to wash out until tomorrow in case it reopens the wounds.


I have a PET/CT scan scheduled for 1:00 tomorrow. Chemotherapy starts Monday. I will refrain from radiation until Wednesday, April 7th. At that time, they’ll put on the halo, run another MRI, determine if a month of chemo had any effects on the remaining 5 tumors. If not, they will continue Gamma Knife treatment and hopefully radiate what’s left. There's no telling at this point, how much chemotherapy they will want to administer, but if history is indicative of anything, I imagine it'll be 4 months or so (8 sessions every other week.)

10 comments:

  1. I think you look so good! I'm not just saying that either. you have such a great attitude - I don't know that I would be that brave. Too bad they had to redo your halo...that's no fun- and I am only imagining! You're still in my thoughts daily and in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You handle your trials so well. Keep it up, girl! You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair looks really dark in the first picture and you don't look moon faced there at all, by the way. I love to hear your optimism and high spirits. You impact my life every day, Bri. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. i hadnt seen your blog for awhile so i didnt know this was happening again. i think you are an inspiration and quite the fighter! take care! devry

    ReplyDelete
  5. John 16:33 Take Heart! I have overcome the world.
    Dear Bri,
    I am sure there are days you don't want to be the courageous one- and I pray that Jesus will make His presence and company so apparant to you that you can trust Him to overcome for you. May the Lord heal you and give you endurance and victory. You are in our prayers. Lovingly, the Timothy Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bri! wow you are so tough. You have always been such a great example to me, you are just incredible. Your mom was telling me about the screws on your pretty head, you are doing so great! I Love you and btw you look amazing, you always do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in my thoughts. You have gone through so much and yet your faith seems stronger than ever. Kerri Clare Goodman

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do look beautiful! There seems to be nothing that can take that away :) Its a heavenly glow, Bri. You are an Angel!

    Eric looks great too, he looks very happy to be by your side and I can see the pride in his eyes. You are a beautiful couple and I cant wait to come to San Diego so you can show me the beaches this summer. I had plans to go last summer and didn't quite make it. Maybe this summer I shall!

    hey... you looked like you needed a lil weight on your bones anyhow! There will now be a little more of you to love and, besides you can swim it off this summer.

    Hang on tight, I know chemo is coming. I know. Just hold on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Weight gain?? What are you talking about?? I just saw you at Kohls and you looked great!! You are so brave. I bet you just walk in to these treatments strong as a lion:)) You are amazing. So sorry to hear that you have to do chemo again but if it will end all this craziness so that you can live a cancer free life from here on out, then it will be worth it.

    Hang in there and keep up the great strength. We are all still praying for you;))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bri, I've been reading your blog and I have to say that you are a really amazing person. I admire your positive attitude and sense of humor. You seem to be a fabulous mother and wife and you don't seem to let this cancer stand in your way of leading a good life and creating an example for your children. I can't imagine your daily struggle--reading your story about the halo made me cringe! But to know that out of 13 tumors, only 5 are left!! Amazing!! You are in my prayers and I just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete