Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Monday, March 8, 2010

A Prayer of Healing

Tonight for family night, we had so much fun looking through pictures and reading funny stories. We talked about family records and how we want to eventually turn our blog into a book of remembrance, maybe annually or something. Afterwards, we talked about prayer and I shared with the kids a poem I wrote the other night during one of my insomniatic evenings. Kaden prompted me to put it in our "book of remembrance", so here it is.


A Prayer of Healing

When it comes to any hardship, I refrain from asking, “Lord, why me?”
But when I think of all my blessings, that question’s often posed to Thee.
I am not deserving; I just don’t understand
Why I grew up with the Gospel in this blessed Promised Land.
Raised by loving parents and a faithful family,
With friends of absolute support, who’d help in any catastrophe.
Comforts of life are something I’ve never gone without
You’ve sustained me, and given me, all I’ve cared about.
Even when life gets hard with toil and with strife
I find it so easy to be grateful to be a mother and a wife.
These divine roles are exceedingly fulfilling
Teaching, training, nurturing – makes each days’ tasks so thrilling.
So much I’ve been given that it’s hard to ask for more
Yet selfishly I plead to Thee for another gift in store.
As cancer takes my body, it seems my health is all I lack
I pray for nothing short of miracles – to assault this cancer – full attack!
I want to love my husband, to raise my children and to know
That I will be part of their life experiences - to watch them learn and grow.
Before coming to earth, I know Your side I eagerly chose
How excited I was to gain a body, to stand with You when the time arose.
Please don’t take from me, any moment of time,
That I know I must have looked forward to with anticipation sublime.
I know the joys and beauties of heaven will definitely far exceed
The bliss of this telestial life, but those things I don’t yet need.
Please let me be Thy earthly servant, to witness and to share
In all that this short span of eternity has to offer one trying to be a righteous heir.
I am anything but perfect, my many faults abound,
But I know that with Thy guidance, I can do great works that will astound.
Regardless of the outcome, I offer Thee my life, I offer Thee my heart,
But pray this gift of health and living You’ll see fit to impart.


(By the way, for all you who have lovingly reached out with phone calls, emails and concern, I apologize for not answering the phone. Chemo went really well today. No sickness, but I'm sure looking forward to getting some sleep tonight. Just emotionally and physically drained from the past few weeks -- it's definitely catching up with me.)

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem Bri, thanks for making me cry again. We love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briana, that was beautiful and brilliant. You have such talent!! I too am crying again. You are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetest Bri,

    You are amazing. I have checked your blog everyday for the past couple years now. You are such a fighter and it does not suprise me one bit! I need your email address! You have my old email address, I am not sure if Eric gave you my new one. I love you so much. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

    I Love you Bri! -
    Chelsea Monahan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your prayer/poem. It was so honest and open. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am pleading with heavenly father every day to grant you the blessing of your health. Marc fasted today. I sent you something on Monday. It is nothing big. I just wanted you to know that I will always care for you. You are my angel. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Briana,
    That poem brought tears to my eyes -- you are sooo talented in so many ways. Thank you for sharing with us. We are keeping you and your family in our prayers.
    love, Wendy, your Carlsbad neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing that. You are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you Bri! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. briana. i was reading your blog out loud to jayla and just got this overwhelming spirit rush through me and started to cry (just a little). you are SUCH a courageous woman and im amazed at what you have already overcome! your spirit is strong...i can feel it all the way in QC, AZ! im always praying for you! love you lots! (hey, drink a clearly canadian....might just give you a little boost! smile, i love ya!)

    ReplyDelete