Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Sunday, November 14, 2010

Medical Update

I receive so many loving messages of support. Please know I love you all immensely and that your faith increases my own. Without the use of my left hand, it takes me a while to chicken-peck the keyboard and I fail to respond as much as I'd like. All I'd like to say can't easily be conveyed in words so I often absorb the spirit of the writings and negclect to respond.

That said, I want to bring you up to speed on treatments. A few weeks ago I started going to an amazing neurologist whose practice is a perfect blend of medical treatment and naturopathic care. I'm so excited about his services that I want to throw out the toxic chemo treatments altogether, though he doesn't recommend it quite yet. Twice a week, I receive vitamin c intravenously and have started taking several supplements. I feel great after the treatments! Doc suggests I continue chemo to utilize it as a jumpstart to killing cancer cells, then wean off of it as results show I don't need it. My next scans are the week of Christmas, so if my body can sustain it, I'll receive three more chemo treatments. I can do it, I can do it, I think I can, I think I can, I hate it, I need it, you've done 27 sessions already-just suck it up and get through it, but it's so miserable and literally killing me, just do it....these are my daily thoughts. Today I feel good, though, and am re-energized for a good fight.

Every other week I have chemo, which you know is three days of infusion. On my off chemo weeks, I have to give myself neupogen injections to bring up my white blood cell count in order to be treated the following week. My body is just not rebounding like it used to. If the cancer doesn't kill me, the chemo certainly will if we give it enough time.

And because the Lord apparently knows I can handle it, though some days I'm not too sure, I deal with the repercussions of the stroke. This includes two days of physical and occupational therapy a week, and if I can muster up the energy, at-home therapy for 1-2 hours each day.

Between blood work, treatments, and therapy, I have 2-3 appointments a day, which is why life would be impossible if it weren't for Mom and Joan living with us for weeks to months at a time and helping with the kids and household chores. Just when I think I can't handle anymore challenges, I'm proved wrong, just as when I think I can't be loved or love anymore, my heart continues to swell. It's a wonder my left breast isn't considreably large than my right as a result. heeheehee

We read in the Book of Mormon in 2 Nephi 25:23, "...for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." Now that I'm trying a more holistic approach, after giving western medicine it's time, I believe I'm doing all I can do. And in Ether 12:6 we read that "...ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." My faith is being tried and tested. If I pass the test and if it be God's will, I know I must have a miracle waiting for me.

1 comment:

  1. Briana, the holistic approach must surely be a gift. Anything that can make you feel better is a mini blessing. I'd give up all my free time to come and be with you if I could, to give your moms a break too. There are hours & miles that separate us though, I can only attempt to stay connected spiritually and do all I can do from here.

    For all things there is a purpose, and a season. I am sorry the chemo is so much harder this time, I wish we would find a better way for you.

    ReplyDelete