Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Too Much Information?

If not for my faith, I seriously would have thought that I was dying this weekend. Upon being disconnected from my FOLFIRI chemo on Friday, they infused me for another hour with a new drug, Vectibex, that’s supposed to enhance the effectiveness of chemo. Boy, did it do a number on me. I couldn’t keep anything down that I tried to get into my system, and I was so constipated that I couldn’t get anything out that was previously there.  Get this…I drank two cups of laxative tea (threw it up), drank two tablespoons of milk of magnesia (threw it up), took 4 co-lace/stool softeners (threw ‘em up), used two fleet enemas (fissures and hemorrhoids made them too painful to withstand. Believe it or not, I lost 12 pounds within 24 hours and was drastically weak and dehydrated. My friend, Cindy Flaschner, drove up with her daughter, Emily, for the weekend from Simi Valley. Being the best hostess ever, I was curled up in fetal position on my floor and tried to talk but couldn’t. I hate for people to see me weak so had to ask her to leave. L She took Kami with her to a hotel and the three girls played for a couple days. Cindy, I insist on a redo visit! Thank you for being soooo understanding and helpful! You are a tremendous friend!

Finally, at 7 pm, I knew something had to be done or I was going to have to go to the hospital. Eric and Larry gave me a priesthood blessing for healing. For those not familiar with priesthood blessings, it’s a very special blessing given by men in our church who worthily hold the priesthood. They lay their hands on my head and offer a special prayer inspired by God. No matter your faith, the facts are facts. Within five minutes of the blessing, I had runny stool. I fell asleep for an hour and woke with an urgent need to empty my bowels, so to speak. I hobbled as quickly as I could to the bathroom, but just before entering the toilet room (though safely in the bathroom), my bowels released on their own. My pants and socks filled with the “runs.” Yep, 31 years old and I crapped my pants. Being the best husband in the world, Eric cleaned everything! He must love me.

Then, Leyna came to me saying she needed to pee, but didn’t want to because she felt like she had a reflection and it hurt. I realized she meant to say infection, so smugly old her to go before she peed her pants then to take a warm bath with me. She was so afraid of the pain; she didn’t go until she ended up peeing all over the boys’ bathroom floor. Low and behold, Gavin waited too long to pee and when he went to relieve himself and saw Leyna’s urine on the floor, he didn’t want to use his bathroom. So he hobbled down the hall to the girls’ bathroom, peeing all the way. Again, Eric cleaned it all up. He came in to me and asked, “How does our 6 year old pee his pants?!” “Can’t ask me,” I replied, “your wife just pooped her pants.” It was disgustingly comical.  

Monday night, my friend Tanja and her kids walked in with bags of groceries. While the kids played and I layed lifeless on the couch, Tanja made us a big pot of broccoli/potato/carrot/cheese soup and a batch of bran muffins. How fortunate are we to have such great friends?

Tuesday, Larry and Kaden drove me to my vitamin c infusion appointment in Davis. I felt a bit better for a couple hours, fell asleep, then woke up nauseas and sick again. I’ve been living off zofran. Threw up Tuesday night but have kept everything down today. Doc gave me aloe pills to help with constipation and those seemed to work great today. Now we’re eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Raymond family and Mark, Lori and Jaydin. Lokking forward to a great Thanksgiving!
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Beautiful, so glad for Priesthood Blessings and you are doing better today and that aloe is working for ya too. You are just amazing and your hubby and kids too. How incredible to see them with your on those short videos. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I bet your nurses are amazing, so glad they are in your life. Love you and admire you sista!! Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bri, I'm so glad you got a priesthood blessing and that you were able to get some relief from that constipation. That is not a fun thing along with everything else you have to go through. Your family is amazing. It is incredible the small miracles happening in your life everyday. We love you and pray for you and your family, your names are in the temple in Nauvoo. I know I said this many times, but being so far away I feel is the best we can do. We love you and send our support and love.

    Diana, Rob and kids =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bri, if you didn't laugh you'd cry right? Laughter IS the best medicine. Keep your cool and keep trying to find the humor in these situations. There is nothing funny at all about what you are going through, but as long as you can muster up the courage to still just shake your head and say, "What next?" then that is how long you are still making good memories. I know, in your situation, I would try my best to find a way to laugh. Eric did say for better or for worse, sickness and health at some point in his life and now you know, HE MEANT IT. Some of us never get to find out if they truly meant it or not... you get that opportunity and you know it and we ALL know it. Eric Meant It.

    Thank You God, for sending Eric to be with Bri in this life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. E...you do love your brave wife! Bri, we are thinking of you and praying for you and all of your family.
    The Van Pelt Family

    ReplyDelete