Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Final Chemo Session!

I went in for my final round of chemo today! Well...it's not official until Sept. 22nd when I have my scans, but I have no plans of going back. The medicine weakens my system anyhow, so that coupled with being overjoyed at the prospect of being done, I couln't help crying as I left my oncologist's office today. I'm still connected to my chemo-to-go bag until Thursday, but we're almost there!

I'm sure I've mentioned before that they want my white blood cell count to fall between 4 & 11. To this point, I believe that the lowest they've treated me at is 2.4or 2.6. Today my white count was at 1.6. My nurse said, "I'm sorry. We can't do chemo today." I was crestfallen. "No, Patti. Today's my last day. I don't want to prolong it anymore. I don't care if I get sick. Please call Dr. Menco." She took pity on me, called the doc, who came in to see me. "Okay, he said, "I really don't think you should have chemo today." "But Dr. Menco, I did a 10-mile hike yesterday. I feel great. Please...as a birthday present?" When he consented, I had to constrain myself to not hug him to pieces.

I may be sick, but as a family we're just to relieved to be moving on!!

8 comments:

  1. 10 mile HIKE? Are you kidding me? Oh girl are you truly amazing or are you just CRAYZEY!

    Glad to hear it though, and lets pray til the 22nd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that. I'll have my fingers crossed until the 22nd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello super women. Bri you are freakin amazing! I can't believe you did a 10 mile hike. You put us all to shame! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Never having chemo again would be a great gift, but I hope you get some others too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you and your family! What a big milestone to cross in your life. Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love checking up on your blog.. Things are going GREAT!!! That last round of Chemo is just icing on the cake.. CONGRATS!!!
    Mathew burst into tears on his last round.. Sheer relief.........
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Such a miracle :))) I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that you had your last treatment. You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok todays the big day! Dont forget to update us ASAP!

    ReplyDelete