Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Results! Results!

Today was the big day…Scan day!! I had PET & CT scans, neither of which showed any definitive signs of cancer. It did come back abnormal with an enlarged spleen (whatever that’s indicative of, I don’t know) and a long black region on the liver. Dr. Bilchik wasn’t able to determine whether or not the blackened region was fluid, scar tissue or tumor. He’s ordered the scans from my last stay at Cedars Sinai to compare them. Hopefully we’ll hear back by next week what they’ve found.

Because I’m CEA sensitive, or in other words, since my CEA level has proven to be a significant indicator of the amount of cancer in my body (which was at 0.6 four weeks ago), and because I feel so good, we are going to stop all treatments unless they find in future tests that the darkened region is cancerous. The plan is to go back in six weeks to test the CEA level in my blood, and then I’ll return for more scans in three months to see if there’s been a growth of the black region on the liver.

I’m surprised my spleen was enlarged and not my heart, because it feels like my heart could burst with joy. I am so lucky to have had Eric here by my side every step, heartache, tear and moment of joy along the way. Could I have married a better companion? I don’t think so. My family gave me purpose to live, my friends and doctors gave me the courage and know-how to persevere, my faith in the Lord gave me understanding and patience. I owe my strength and success to all those who prayed, fasted, cried, sent cards, brought in meals, watched my children, and so much more unmentioned, on my behalf. I’m grateful for this life we get to experience and hope to not let any wonderful experiences pass me by.

Now…who’s going to join us for Hawaii in December????? It's time to make some reservations!

7 comments:

  1. Dear Bri- We rejoice with you and thank the Lord for his tender care of you and your family.
    May God keep you clear of cancer and bless you with peace.
    We are going to Maui in February if you want to join us!
    Also...would love to find out more info about the trip to Europe that you booked for your hubby...I want Mark to do that! Karen Timothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy at how well things have turned out for you and your family. I hope the rest will be a breeze from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just made my morning! What happy news! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!! Such great news!! I'm going to ask Josh if we can join you in Hawaii... I think he needs to spend some time with you and Eric to get to know the family a little better - what better way than relaxing on the beach, learning to surf, hiking the beautiful mountains... ahhh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to wait a whole extra 2 days to get this news. I checked your blog yesterday and the day before and saw nothing posted on the 22nd. I must be crazy to have missed a blog I was looking specifically for! Oh well, I know now and its great news! I am sooo happy for you, your family and the spirit that is watching over you. What an awesome day for all involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what we have been waiting for! Thanks for starting my week off right with wonderful news. We have witnessed another miracle here. Grateful for you!!

    ReplyDelete