Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Small Seizure & 23rd Chemo Session

On Friday night, my eyes started wigging out on me. Eric sent me to the couch to lie down and relax. About 9:30 pm, the fingers in my right hand were all tingly and number. I figured my hand just fell asleep and started shaking the tingles out. Before long, the tingly numbness worked its way into my palm, my thumb, and forearm. I started testing senstivity by putting my hand in the freezer. When I couldn't feel cold from heat, I hurried up to Eric to explain what was happening. Within minutes the numbness started forming in my right eye, right nostril, right cheeck, right side of my teeth and right side of my tongue.

Eric registered the look of fear on my face immediately started calling for someone to come watch the kids so he could rush me to the ER. Fortunately, the sensations were gone within five minutes and we decided to call the nurse hotline instead. She diagnosed it as probably a TIA (or mini-stroke) but when I called the on-call neurosurgeon, he said that though it presented itself as a stroke, he was pretty sure it was a seizure. That it was some manifestation of electrical impulses from (1) tumor growth, (2) tumor development, or (3) residue left over from existing and dying tumors. We're praying for the latter. The doctor put me on 8 mg of dexamethasone (decadron) Friday night, 8 mg Saturday, and 6 mg Sunday. I really don't want to be on them any longer than I have to.

In any case, after chemo yesterday morning, I went over for a MRI. My oncologist said he's almost certain it was caused by electrical malfunctions of some sort and therefore seizure symptoms, but we'll find out more this morning after meeting with my neurologist at 10:30. We're praying also for no swelling on the brain -- the last thing I want is to have to stay on these yucky steroids that cause more harm than good to my body.

Other than that, chemo is never any fun, but I'm doing well with it this time around, too. Praying, praying I have only one more round in a couple weeks before giving my body another break.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the seizure. We are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that sounds scary. So glad you are ok. Wonderful news from the MRI. I am so happy for you Bri! I think about you all the time and know that you are getting healthier every day. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagonosed with breast cancer in July of this year. I had my seizure 3 days ago. I've been having the wiggly eyes and feeling strange for a while now. This was a full blown seizure, I was out for 12 minutes. I had no idea this could happen. The doctor said chemo couldn't cause them but I know he is wrong. I hope my husband survives this.

    ReplyDelete