Briana Stephen

I had an epiphany today while sitting in the oncologist's office. There's so much talk and paraphernalia about finding cures for cancer. There's bitter talk about why Heavenly Father would allow such suffering. I sat there thinking to myself, No. My heart tells me it's not like that at all! ... Think of the communities and families that have come together to love, serve, and mourn with one another.

Our Father in heaven provides opportunities every day for us to keep his commandments, to follow His ultimate example of serving, loving, caring for His spirit children, our spirit brothers and sisters. I get to experience firsthand on a daily basis how beautiful the hearts of mankind really are.

Turn off the news of contentious politics, crime, and adultery for a bit. You'll find a world of compassion. PLEASE ACCEPT MY GRATITUDE to all those who uplift and show me what leading a Christ-like life is really all about. Loads and loads of LOVE!!!

-Bri, March 2010



Monday, September 20, 2010

Our kids are the Best!

Just want to take a minute to brag about my kids. With all they're facing with a new home, new friends, my handicaps and their added responsibities as a result, they've not compained at all! True, they miss their friends in Simi (as do we all) and would rather play than work; but they see that I need help and are right there for me! Kaden often walks slowly down the stairs to help me, Leyna helps stretch my arm out as I walk, Kami rubs my shoulders, and Gavin gives me affection galore when no one is watching. ;-). We're undergoing hair curling training, washing machine and dish washing training, and adding more chores than ever. So far, no complaints. Am I blesssed , or what?

I asked the kids if my walking funny embarrassed them. Unanimously, they looked at me like I was crazy.

Walking (hobbling) in the mall one night, though, Gavin said, "Mom, why are you walking like that? I'm going to try it." He proceeded to try, but to no avail. I just laughed and said, "Now you know how I feel. I can't walk like you!"

It helps to laugh at the situation. My arm is bent at the elbow with my fingers curled in. Eric asked me one night, “What do you want?” “What do you mean?” I replied. He said. “Your arm is always out like you’re looking for a handout.” We laughed hard over that. My wonderful friend, Marci, said I should be a pirate for Halloween since I walk like I have a wooden leg that swings around to move forward. Pitiful, but true.


1 comment:

  1. Well you are witty! What a great comeback, "Well now you know how I feel, I cant walk like you". What an adorable conversation :)

    I want to see you soon, I betcha I can walk like you. With 4 pregnancies, I've done lots of hobbling ;) I am sure it is very cute! Moght not feel cute but it must be!

    ReplyDelete